To relieve some anxiety about what’s happening around the world. I decided to keep myself busy by taking care of my family while working from home and was able to discover another side of me. Due to the pandemic, I’ve got some time to learn how to bake BREAD!
Happy to share my first homemade ube bread roll which recipe I got from a friend and made some tweaked a bit which resulted in a delicious and tasty bread roll according to my kids :-). They said it is better from the bakeshop:-)
Here’s how to make this amazing ube roll:
2 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup ube halaya
1 1/4 cups full cream milk or fresh milk
4 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
4 tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
Egg wash for brushing
- Dissolve yeast and 1 tbsp sugar in warm water. Stir to dissolve around 10 minutes.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, combine 2 1/2 cups of flour, sugar, salt and mix well.
- Add egg, ube halaya, butter, yeast mixture, and milk.
- You may attach the dough hook and turn the mixer on to the lowest speed and mix until flour is incorporated,
- Add 1 cup of flour and mix well until incorporated.
- Add another 1/2 cup of flour and mix well. You may add more flour if needed until a ball of dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover with a plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for at least an hour.
- After rising, deflate the dough by punching down lightly and transfer onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out the dough using a rolling pin and spread ube halaya evenly.
- Roll up the dough to form a log. Slice it into equal parts.
- Place shaped dough on a baking tray.
- Cover the tray with a plastic wrap and let it rise for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Brush with some egg wash before baking.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: You may add violet food coloring if you like, 1 tbsp (Optional)
Praying this pandemic will end soon. Stay safe everyone while learning new things from home.
By: Gege R.