We all know that recycling is a good practice. Unfortunately, knowing how and what to do to the recycled materials is somewhat another thing to ponder on.
what about an elegant pageant gown?
One day, my youngest daughter came to me and told me that she was selected to represent her class in a school pageant in which gowns should be made out of recycled materials only.
I am a working mom and was reluctant to allow her to join at first because I find it impossible to make a gown out of recycled materials in a span of 3 days or in my case, 3 nights.
But Lo! I was able to make a good one and she was able to win Best in Gown and of course, the title.
“Bb. Kalikasan 2019”
How to do it?
- manila paper (this will serve as the pattern for you to be able to cut each petal of the skirt in uniform length and width)
- old sacks of rice /sako ng bigas/ (this is primarily the base of the whole gown)
- plastic spoon
- disposable straws
- old gold colored stings
- plastic ties/ plastic cables (used as an accessory to create a maria clara sleeve effect on the shoulder)
- glue gun and glue sticks
- blue and white paint
- Draw a petal on a manila paper and cut it out. This will serve as the pattern.
- Use the pattern to cut as many petals needed to be able to create a full balloon skirt (in our case we cut out 8 petals).
- Sew each sides to join the petals. you will be able to create a whole flower with a hole on the center. Note that the diameter of the hole should be equal to the waistline of the model.
- Put as many designs as you like.
- Use manila paper to create a pattern of the blouse.
- Use the pattern to cut the sack of rice at your desired measurements.
- Glue the plastic spoon on the sack using a glue gun.
written by: GINA ESCUETA